Friday, August 23, 2024

Review: One Way Back: A Memoir

One Way Back: A Memoir One Way Back: A Memoir by Christine Blasey Ford
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Christine Blassey Ford was thrust into the spotlight and judged because she came forward to talk about her assault as a teenager by another teenager.  This teenager we all know was Brett Kavanaugh who was confirmed to the Supreme Court; for life/until he decides to retire.  He got the job.  She had to go into hiding and have 24/hr security for herself, her family was also threatened.  
I have some memories of Anita Hill testifying.  I was 13 and most of it went over my head.  I don't remember it being discussed in school nor did my mom talk about it with me.  The consensus certainly seemed to be, be a "good" girl!  I certainly remember CBF much more since this is more recent.
This is her story, told from her perspective.  I have so much admiration for her.  What she did took an incredible amount of courage.  I had no idea about the amount of threats she got (and continues to get).  And how careful she has to continue to be.  
She brings up the double standard with men and women.  Men are almost seen as telling the truth, given the benefit of the doubt.  Women just aren't.  You shouldn't have worn that.  You shouldn't have had a drink (or two).  You shouldn't (enter your own statement).  
And when it was all said and done, did coming forward make a difference?  I think you could certainly say no.  He got the job.  Just as Clarence Thomas did.  I also think you could say yes.  This is now out there and she gave people the courage to tell their own stories.  Other people know they aren't alone and there is a network of support out there.   
Believe women.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder

Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder by Salman Rushdie My rating: 4 of 5 stars Salman Rus...