Sunday, July 26, 2020

Review: Anything but Sweet

Anything but Sweet Anything but Sweet by Candis Terry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sweet, TX is a small town where everyone knows the other and is supportive of local businesses. Except these businesses are a bit run down and in need of a makeover. Enter Charli's show, "My New Town." They rehab small towns to help increase tourist dollars. Reno likes things just the way they are thank you very much.
Charli was a military brat with a father who ignored her. Reno was one of 5 sons in a family loved him just as he was. They both have tragic backstories (Charli mom was killed by a drunk driver when she was a kid and Reno's brother Jared was killed while serving his country, his father died, and his fiance killed in an auto accident- and that's not touching on his childhood from birth to age 5). I thought Charli was really good at what she did and I liked her connection with Jana (Reno's mom). Reno was decent too, but it took longer for him to change. The interplay between the brothers and their mom (and the townfolk) was fun.
Lots of name dropping country music stars, country is King, and the opinion that all other music is trash and can go suck it. That annoyed me. I also didn't appreciate Charli's choice of a vehicle- a Hummer. No one *needs* a gas guzzling, environmental killing machine such as that. She didn't off road or haul shit. It was transportation for her and her (1) dog.
I read this for Romance-opoly Drive In Movie sun track.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: After the End

After the End by Katie Ruggle My rating: 4 of 5 stars Nice brief update featuring each couple from the previous...