Saturday, January 13, 2024

Review: MTG

MTG MTG by Marjorie Taylor Greene
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Why? On a personal note, I have far right, Trump-loving, QAnon believing family members and I have to admit they confuse me. I checked this out from my library in the hopes that I would gain some insight into their way of thinking, better understand them, or something. I also find things as they stand sad. Depressing. Scary. Any number of negative emotions.
Full disclosure: Before picking this up, I thought MTG was a horrible person. After reading this? I still think that. I would also add she's a bully.
There are so many lies and falsehoods in this. Some are worse than others, but so. Many. Lies. It is astounding that anything can happen and my take-away can be 180 degrees different from others.

Jan 6, 2021: "I was terrified, thinking that the same people we saw on TV night after night attacking police offices had just breached the Capital." "The people who just walked through open doors are now being prosecuted...." Me: Um? What? People stormed the Capital intent (many with violent intentions) on overturning an election and that is what? Just fine?

Abortion: "The Democratic Party seems intent on destroying women's rights and killing unborn children up to the day of birth...." Me: Abortions are rare later in pregnancy and are usually done because the fetus has an abnormality incompatible with life/the mother's health is in jeopardy/because something couldn't be done earlier due to any combination of access/funding/etc. There are good reasons why it does occur later, but it's never done just because. These are decisions, deliberate decisions women make because it is right for them and their current existing families. Don't agree with abortion? That's fine. Don't have one. It could not be more simple than that. Don't. Have. One.

Transgender people: "The fact is there are plenty of girls and women already getting hurt while facing off against biological men." She goes on a rant and states other things about trans women that don't have sources listed and are things I haven't seen reported in the media. Me: Huh?

Trump's support of the military: "I'll never forget how he greeted the planes and coffins of America's sons and daughters when they came home. I understand that he greeted nearly every deceased service member when they returned home. Me: A quick google search on this will show that he did this 4 times and then stopped after he was criticized by a service member's family. Mike Pence did this for 2 years. Trump did not. Pence did.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine: "...but I don't see evidence of a continuing threat to Europe or Nato." Me: tell that to Sweden, Finland, Moldova, and Georgia. MTG seems to think it's because Russian was a primary language many Ukrainians used, they must want to join Russia.

Climate change: Natural disasters are more costly not because of climate change making storms more severe/etc, but because of inflation.

The 2022 election: "If the sentiment against the radical left were all it took, we would have had our red wave..." Me: people voting = bad. Making it easier to vote, whether it is mail-in voting, extending voting hours, etc = bad. Never mind the fact that Democrats have won the popular vote in 2000, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020. And winning the popular vote in 2000 and 2016 didn't win the presidency. So, gerrymandering = good. Voting restrictions = good.

I do think there are divides in this country. How bad they are varies on location. We also have to be able to TALK to each other without getting into screaming matches and we have to be able to compromise. You can't always get what you want, it can't be "my way or the highway." And at the end of the day FACTS should matter. They do matter.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: After the End

After the End by Katie Ruggle My rating: 4 of 5 stars Nice brief update featuring each couple from the previous...