Sunday, August 4, 2019

Rebel Mechanics

Review:

Rebel Mechanics - Shanna Swendson

This is an alternative history with paranormal elements. So, the American Revolution never happened and the colonies are still under British rule. Those in power, the rich elite have magic. Those with magic don't mix with the non-magical (it dilutes the blood). The gap between the haves and have-nots is pretty wide.
Verity is the daughter of a college professor. She became a governess to a wealthy magical family after her mother died. The Rebel Mechanics (RM) are a group of magical-hating individuals who strive for independence and are revolutionaries and inventors.
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I did like Verity, she was a little too trusting, but was able to form her own opinions. I wasn't surprised when Verity revealed a hidden talent. I liked Henry and his charges Olive and Rollo (Flora not so much). Fun twist regarding Henry. (It's hinted and guessed at early on).
I didn't like the RM using children in their demonstration when they knew it would and could turn violent. They also came across as too judgmental (as a group). I won't be reading the rest.
For Ripped Bodice Bingo- YA historical

Original post: RachelGoodbyeBorders.booklikes.com/post/1930242/rebel-mechanics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: After the End

After the End by Katie Ruggle My rating: 4 of 5 stars Nice brief update featuring each couple from the previous...