Sunday, June 30, 2024

Review: The Idea of You

The Idea of You The Idea of You by Robinne Lee
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Okay this is shelved as romance. It is NOT a romance. I would call this WOMEN'S FICTION. A romance has a HEA (happily ever after) OR a HFN (happy for now). This has neither of those. So, again, not a romance!
Is this a bad book? No. Was I disappointed? Yes. See the above. My expectations would have been different and the rating a bit higher had I known going into this that this was women's fiction. Since I wanted to watch the movie, I got the book to check out first. The movie is BETTER and the why is at the end of this review.
Anyway, an age gap romance (where the woman is the older one) is (almost) always one I want to check out. Solene is in her 30s (39 to be exact) and has a 12 year old daughter (Isabelle). Daughter is a HUGE fan of August Moon (a boy band) and has a HUGE crush on the lead singer, Hayes. Hayes is 20. Solene and Hayes meet when she takes her daughter & friends to meet the band at a meet and greet. After some flirtation, Hayes invites Solene to drinks.
I did like that Hayes pursued Solene and he didn't care about the age gap. I liked Solene owned her sexuality. I wasn't crazy about Isabelle huge crush on Hayes and how Solene handled it. I hated the ending.
What the book got wrong, the movie got right. They aged Isabelle to 16 (if memory serves) and made her a FORMER huge fan of the band. And they changed the ending.
RBSB- art galley

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Here for the Right Reasons: A swoonworthy friends-to-lovers rom-com

Here for the Right Reasons: A swoonworthy friends-to-lovers rom-com by Jodi McAlister My rating: 4 of 5 stars ...