Sunday, October 7, 2018

The She-Hulk Diaries

Review:

The She-Hulk Diaries - Marta Acosta

I'm generally not a reader of comics, but I do enjoy the Marvel and DC properties on the big and small screen.  So, I was interested in this one even though Bruce Banner/the Hulk is a character I'm fairly ambivalent about.  This book is about his cousin, Jennifer Walters.

Jen is good at her job, but also has self-esteem and some anger issues in regards to her alter ego She-Hulk.  At the beginning she was a bit hard to like for me; she was (IMO) shallow, immature.  Her best friend Dahlia was also.  By the end, she was a little better. 

I didn't like the big focus on getting a boyfriend.  There is a bit of a love triangle with Sven and Ellis.  I didn't like that Ellis was engaged to Amber.  Amber, was also a BITCH (because of course she has to be, right?).  

Didn't care for the fashion show fat shaming.  Interesting story-line regarding ReplaceMax with cloned organs.  Just not enough for me and ended up a little disappointed.  

This fits in very well with the "New Adult" genre.  But based on a comic superhero/sci-fi/supernatural elements.  Thus far, I've noted there are very few NA books I've actually liked.  As a result, I generally avoid them.

Booklikes Bingo:  13 square (this book was published in 2013 and it was 13 in the ISBN #!)

Original post: RachelGoodbyeBorders.booklikes.com/post/1798202/the-she-hulk-diaries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: After the End

After the End by Katie Ruggle My rating: 4 of 5 stars Nice brief update featuring each couple from the previous...